The Star Asked To Do More To Soothe Hurt Feelings Over Ramadan Article
PUTRAJAYA, Aug 16 – Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein today asked the The Star to do more to soothe the feelings of Muslims who were deeply hurt over the newspaper’s insensitive articles in its Dining Out supplement.
He said it was more important for the newspaper to explain its mistake to the people than to him
“It was because I was dissatisfied with the newspaper’s respsonse to the mistake that I called its Group Chief Editor for an explanation today. If a mistake has been made, a very clear apology must be made to Muslims in the country,” he told a press confernce after the meeting here.
Prior to this, The Star’s Group Chief Editor had been called up by the ministry’s Deputy Secretary-General (Security) Datuk Abdul Rahim Mohamad Radzi in connection with the matter and had subsequently issued an apology but many quarters had still expressed unhappiness with the newspaper over what had happened.
“As the matter did not abate, I felt it was important that something be done to reduce the temperature” to avoid more polemics from happening,” said Hishammuddin.
The matter arose after the ‘Dining Out’ supplement with cover headline “Ramadan Delights’ issued last week also contained articles and pictures of pork dishes and non-halal restaurants, something Muslims find very offensive.
Meanwhile, commenting on the setting up of the Parliamentary special select committee for electoral reform which was announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak yesterday, Hishammuddin said it showed the willingness of the government to defend democracy in the country in the interest of the future of the country and people.
He also welcomed the announcement by the prime minister on the need to change censorship rules saying it was very timely.
“This because now we are facing various negative perceptions as a result of our traditional practices.” he said.