Rais Asks Telcos To Postpone 6 Per Cent Service Charge Plan

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 9 – Information Communication and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim has asked telecommunication companies (telcos) to postpone their plan to impose a six per cent service charge on their pre-paid mobile phone users.

He said the matter would be brought to the cabinet meeting next week for a decision to be made on it.

“This is not the right time to do this as the announcement was so sudden,” he told reporters after being a guest at the “Bicara Rakyat” programme broadcast live over TV1 from Angkasapuri, here, today.

Rais said the telcos should consider consumers’ rights as some of them had been reaping profits of RM800 million to RM1.2 billion a year.

The other panel speakers discussing the topic, ‘Successful Transformation Prospers the People”, were Utusan Malaysia deputy editor-in-chief Datuk Zaini Hassan, Bernama TV assignment editor D. Arul Rajoo and Sin Chew Daily chief executive editor Kuik Cheng Kang.

On another note, Rais said the 1Malaysia concept: People First, Performance Now, was no mere slogan but a way of life for Malaysians.

“It is different from the other slogans (introduced at every past independence celebration) as the 1Malaysia concept is a way of life that we want in order to achieve Vision 2020.

“In other words, we have incorporated what were initiated by (former prime minister) Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad into our administration and struggle for the people and country,” he said.

Rais disclosed that he would be attending a Commonwealth conference on cyber crime in the United Kingdom in November.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Lagi Berita